Thursday, January 28, 2010

What Belief Have You Dismissed?

“Re-examine all you have been told. Dismiss what insults your soul.”

Walt Whitman


Perhaps like many of you, as I’ve matured – a polite word for aging – I’ve become both more and less patient with myself. More patient with those people and circumstances that I cannot change (St. Francis of Assissi’s prayer comes to mind here!). Simultaneously, I’m less patient with my own self-limiting beliefs.

My work with people to become aware of their underlying belief systems reinforces the reality as expressed in my book (Living an Extraordinary Life available at http://www.ExtraordinaryBook.com) that 95% of the foundation for our daily decisions is unconscious. We were programmed at a very early age by our parents, other adults and our culture to “believe” some very important concepts that influence the rest of our lives.

By becoming more aware of those beliefs even years later, we can make better choices of what to believe, what to discard and what to amplify—and in so doing, exponentially increase our sense of personal power.

Once our awareness is awakened, I really like the poet Walt Whitman’s counsel here to “dismiss what insults your soul.” It offers a fresh and very deep perspective plus a call to positive action.

What have you dismissed recently? Let us know with your comments!

With love and respect,

Robert

1 comment:

Lion Goodman said...

If your readers would like to learn more about beliefs, and learn a technique for permanently deleting them, have them visit www.BeliefCloset.com. The free information includes a 15-page Introduction to Beliefs and a guided BeliefCloset audio journey -- in which specific limiting beliefs can be eliminated and replaced with empowering beliefs.