Thursday, January 14, 2010

How's Your Quiet Time?

“Some of us need to discover that we will not begin to live more fully until we have the courage to do and see and taste and experience much less than usual ... And for a man who has let himself be drawn completely out of himself by his activity, nothing is more difficult than to sit still and rest, doing nothing at all. The very act of resting is the hardest and most courageous act he can perform.”

Thomas Merton

Subscribers has asked me how I choose these quotes and the answer is simple: I choose the ones that speak to me, my history, my experience, my current reality and my personal vision.

This is a good example. I know that one of my challenges is to “do and see and taste and experience much less than usual.” I teach and attempt to model an advanced state of noticing, a greater awareness of the people and experiences in my life. Where this is inadequate is pointed to by Thomas Merton. Sometimes the “noticing” needs to be what’s happening within, the quiet time our habits and culture seem to deny.

What are your practices for “going quiet?” Mine include long walks in nature. Share yours with us by commenting.

With love and respect,

Robert

No comments: