Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Possibly Unpopular and Timeless Principles

“You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.”


William J. H. Boetcker (1873 – 1962)



An Extraordinary Minute is apolitical – plus my commitment is that they be read in one minute or less – so my comment here is brief:

We face many choices in the days and months ahead, individually and collectively. My suggestion is to filter our decision making through proven principles of accomplishment and the lessons of history.

A foundation pillar of my work for the past 40 years is personal responsibility. I do my best to not fall prey to the “victim culture” all too common in modern society and to “own my life.” You might be well served to join me in this effort.

Robert

No comments: