Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Are You Ready to Learn?

"Personally, I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught."

Winston Churchill

Ahhhh Sir Winnie, your wit and wisdom always seem to touch me at the heart level …. and your words often make me a bit uncomfortable with their inherent truth.

I know it’s my ego, my identity as a “know-it-all” that gets in the way; yet that bit of self knowledge doesn’t seem adequate to disappear my resistance to “being taught.”

These times of rapidly accelerating changes in families, careers and the economy call for constant learning, for constant re-invention. What’s your take on why we sometimes resist being taught? True confessions (and hopefully some insight) can be shared by commenting. I look forward to the dialogue!

With love and respect,

Robert

2 comments:

denese said...

Robert wrote this for me, I know it!

My blind spot, that possibly keeps me from learning (I'm not admitting to anything yet) is my "do the right thing" philosophy. So, if I don't think people's responses are "right" I tune them out.

And we all know that everyone's "right thing" is different.

How'd I do Robert?

Denese

Robert White said...

Of course I wrote it for you Denese!