Wednesday, July 15, 2009

To Love or Not to Love?

“A part of kindness consists in loving people more than they deserve.”

Joseph Joubert

My personal experience plus observation of thousands of participants in our seminars informs me that while it’s somewhat easy to assert that we desire to be compassionate and kind, often that compassion is conditional. One of those “conditions” is pointed to in this powerful message from Mr. Joubert: we use our judgments of others to justify withholding kindness.

Now perhaps you’re “pure as the wind driven snow” (one of my Mother’s favorite expressions when she doubted my veracity!), and kindness is always available to you with every person in your life. If so, perhaps you should be writing these missives instead of me!

I sometimes struggle to get past negative judgments about people in my life so that I can be fully present to them and to extend to them the compassion and kindness I want from them.

I’m sure you have some great stories...Be sure to share them with us.

With love and respect,

Robert

No comments: