Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Living "On Hold"

“Technology is changing our lives. It cannot and will not change what is fundamental to the human condition. It will never change the way we are, or how we feel. The more technology we create, the more we seem confused, side-tracked with what we are conned into believing will improve our lives in the future. Always the future. Anything to get us off thinking about who we are right now, and how we might make our relationships more rewarding and loving. Too many times, all of that is put on hold.”

from “Living an Extraordinary Life”by Robert White

As is my custom, commenting on what I’ve written seems self-indulgent.

I am, as always, interested in your thoughts and you are encouraged to share them with all of us via the comment link below.

With love and respect,

Robert

2 comments:

waa said...

Technology can be a huge distraction or a major enabler. I don't believe it is or will ever be a substitute for relationship the old fashioned way. The willigness to extend yourself on behalf of someone else with love. I believe that technology too often is a distraction and a disabler. Especially when it replaces what is most important - pure human connection. I find myself getting lazy at times and have to shake myself lose and say the e-mail was nice but not enough. bill adams

Unknown said...

Robert, I'm not sure that I agree with you on this one. I find that technology not only makes life more pleasant and interesting, but it enables us to connect with people that we might never know otherwise. Plus I stay in better touch with those that are particularly important. (I wouldn't be talking to you right now without this wonderful technology). I don't think we can blame technology for our confusion and lack of attention any more than we can blame the wheel or the airplane. We can embrace technology without putting our lives on hold. Very best, David