Monday, July 7, 2008

Are You Acting or Reacting?

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space.  In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom.”

Viktor Frankl

Former wife and teacher Dianna coaches me (and many others) to “develop an advanced state of noticing.”  Gaining the kind of awareness and commitment that allows us to interrupt our automatic reaction machine is a powerful personal growth tool.

My personal trigger is to notice when I’m reacting and hit “instant replay.”  Just like it is never too late to have a happy childhood, it is never too late to jerk yourself out of reaction and choose a response that suits your vision, your purpose and your values.

Let me know how this works for you.

With love and respect,

Robert

1 comment:

DeLia said...

Very true. Sometimes I realize that I'm on a reaction roller coaster, and don't want to stop (pride of course :( ). Of course working on catching the reaction sooner will only come with practice, and God's help