Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Knowledge vs. Wisdom

“Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living, the other helps you make a life.”

Sandra Carey


I want to grow in both knowledge and wisdom. Sometimes I self-evaluate as doing one or the other; unfortunately, less often I do both.

The actress Bette Davis said “getting old is not for sissies.” I mostly agree with that statement however it does leave out the incredible potential value of growing in wisdom as we grow in years.

Participate in the dialogue by commenting below.

With love and respect,

Robert

P. S. And yet another plea for your support in expanding the number of people enjoying “An Extraordinary Minute:” Just forward this message to your friends, family and colleagues with your personal recommendation and a suggestion to go to http://www.ExtraordinaryBook.com (at the bottom of the page) to register for their f*ee gift and the on-going f*ee “Extraordinary Minute.”

I deeply appreciate your support.

Robert

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe one of the differences is the increasing amount of gratitude one has for the gift of life. The more we grow in wisdom, the more gratitude we have for the opportunity to be alive and to serve. It's the increasingly rich experience of giving back- of paying for the right to be alive, to pay for our existence- that's wisdom. Growing older is only a fact of life. Growing wiser is optional and it's hard work, the work on the inner self that comes with observation, the separation of personality and the multiplicity of "I's" that are at play in ourselves. The more we quiet that cacophany of "I's" and can hear what the real I has to say to us and find our path to service, the wiser we become. That comes with time and mostly it comes with deep inner work. I know that the more I work on self mastery, the more grateful I am for the time I have left to be of service- and the fewer demands I make on others to be of service to me. Perhaps that is wisdom. It certainly is giving me peace, and with peace, more gratitude.