Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sorrow and Delight


“When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”

Khalil Gibran


Almost everyone’s favorite poet – OK, Rumi might be a candidate for that – Gibran shares a powerful truth here.

I’ve had two close friends suffer much sorrow in their lives recently--one with the death of a deeply loved wife and one with the death of a daughter-in-law. I recognize that it is so much easier to advise someone else about how to handle grief than it is to work through it myself. As I thought about and prayed for them over the recent holidays, this quote was helpful in my process.

I believe their sorrow was truly sourced in the delight with which they celebrated their relationships while on this physical plane. And isn’t that a great way to remember relationships that have changed their form through death or separation or distance?

Your thoughts, as always, are welcome -- just click on "comments" below.
With love and respect,

Robert

No comments: